Saturday, January 10, 2009

Βομβαρδίζοντας με φυλλάδια...

Μια αναίμακτη επιδρομή έλαβε χώρα προχθές στη Λωρίδα της Γάζας. Ο Ισραηλινός Στρατός έριξε φυλλάδια σε διάφορες περιοχές καλώντας του Παλαιστίνιους να τηλεφωνήσουν σε ειδικό τηλεφωνικό κέντρο που έχει δημιουργηθεί και να δώσουν πληροφορίες σχετικά με τις δραστηριότητες της Χαμάς.

Με άλλα λόγια, "σε έχω στραγγαλίσει, σε έχω ετοιμοθάνατο από την πείνα, πες μου επιτέλους πού βρίσκονται αυτοί οι αλητήριοι τρομοκράτες συμπατριώτες σου για να τους σκοτώσω. Να εύχεσαι μόνο να μην είσαι κοντά τους γιατί οι βόμβες διαλύουν ολόκληρες γειτονιές!"

Για κακή τους τύχη το μήνυμα του φυλλαδίου διέρρευσε και μάλιστα πέρασε και στην άλλη πλευρά του Ατλαντικού, στα χέρια μιας ομάδας Εβραίων των ΗΠΑ οι οποίοι έχουν συνειδητοποιήσει το αυτονόητο, ότι η διαμάχη στη Μέση Ανατολή δεν πρόκειται ποτέ να λυθεί με τα όπλα. Διέδωσαν τον αριθμό του τηλεφώνου σε όλα τα μέλη προτρέποντάς τους να τηλεφωνήσουν και να διαμαρτυρηθούν.

Παρακάτω παραθέτω τρεις περιπτώσεις αμερικανοεβραίων που τηλεφώνησαν...

I called, answered the greeting I received in Arabic and then switched to Hebrew. I told him I was calling to say that this war on Gaza is completely unjust. We had a short conversation in which he asked why I thought I had the right to make this judgement and I told him that as an Israeli citizen and as an American I do have that right and explained why. I encourage others to make the call sooner rather than later because surely they'll change the number once these kinds of calls start coming in.
Α.Κ.

I did this successfully in English. I encourage all who can to do it, too.
Μ.
I did the same, had a very long semi-intelligent debate, in Hebrew, with a miluim sodier/officer who answered the line. He initially disqualified me for expressing an opinion about the war based on the fact that I am living in the US, accusing me of a deficit in ideology, lamenting that the "galut" has been a bad influence on me, guilt-tripping me for being safe while he and others like him are paying the price, etc., etc.. I saw no point in telling him that I made aliyah on my own at age 16, was for years intimately involved with the Zionist establishment and am scheduled to return to Israel in May 2009. I simply didn't want to engage on his terms. Instead, I stated that as a human being, whatever my nationality or status, I was perfectly qualified to express an opinion, and then spoke of the civilian suffering in both Gaza and Israel (emphasizing that the IDF actions are putting the civilians in Southern Israel at risk rather than protecting them), Kadima's dirty election game and the lessons of the Lebanon war (i.e., that wars like this do not weaken the terrorist organizations involved but rather strengthen them). At that point, he listened and even occasionally agreed with me. Of course, for the most part it was still a shouting match, but not a completely useless one, I felt. I wonder how soon they will change that number.
E.R.

Για όποιον ενδιαφέρεται να κάνει κάτι παρόμοιο ο αριθμός του τηλεφωνικού κέντρου είναι:

0 0 9 7 2 - 2 5 8 3 9 7 4 9

Πηγή: mailing list της οργάνωσής τους.